Monday, January 27, 2014

Brrr

Emily and Chip, Me and Roanie, Caroline and Deja.
Out hacking with a high of 25° and driving wind.

Well, it's beginning to look like the cold weather is here to stay for a while. I guess it's time to come to terms with the fact that going to the barn now entails having three pairs of pants, six jackets, two hats, and a gallon of hot coffee (you think I'm kidding....) I have devised an ingenious and remarkably accurate way to determine if I'm wearing enough layers for the daily arctic temperatures: If I can put on all my clothing, walk from my bedroom, down the hall, and into the kitchen without physically breaking a sweat, I don't have enough layers on.

It may seem like I complain endlessly about the cold weather, but believe it or not, there is someone who hates the frigid air more than me..... Roanie. My big tough ranch horse sure has adjusted to barn life. I am in no way one of those owners that has twelve blankets to be mixed and matched for every degree change throughout the day. Roanie does, however, always have a blanket on whenever it's below 40° (and she has several on when it's below 30°.) Whenever the days are cold and windy I always know I'm in for a more challenging ride. Starting with attempting to remove Roanie's blankets. The blankets have to be removed slowly by folding the back of the blanket in sections up towards the front, grooming as I go. As soon as there is room for the quarter sheet, it better be put on fast, before she gets cold and starts squealing and flinching as I touch her. If I manage to get a cold saddle put on her back without her jumping away from me or kicking out, then I consider it an accomplishment. After she's completely tacked up, and miserably grouchy, it's time to attempt to have a nice calm relaxed ride.

This past week we've been working on collection. We have worked on counter bending Roanie and using haunches in to really help establish an outside rein connection. Subtly straightening her with my outside aids then subtly bending her back inside helps keep her in the bridle and helps me control her outside shoulder, which likes to bulge to the outside. As Lisa says: Your horse should be in between your legs and you should be able to push them around like you're skiing. If I put my right leg on, Roanie's hind end should move to the left. If I put my left leg on, her hind end should move to the right. By asking her every few steps to move her hind end to a different location (inside bend, outside bend) I'm able to help loosen her whole body up by asking her to consistently push her rib cage, and therefore, hind end in different directions. I am also able to keep her from bracing at her poll. If she is able to brace her poll, she is able to contact her inner giraffe and invite said giraffe out for a visit. Which is very frustrating, but ultimately, something that has improved tremendously.






Oh, and did I mention that the aforementioned exercises have also helped with her canter? Having control of that hind end, and the poll, have improved the canter phenomenally. It is starting to feel like a canter that I would feel completely comfortable riding to the base of a fence on.

It's so exciting to see the progress continuing to be made with this mare! For now, it's time to bundle up, get some coffee, and weather this nasty winter! We can't wait until spring time, but with snow in the forecast for tomorrow, I think it's safe to say that springtime is a long ways away. Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment